Tuesday 10 March 2009

Week Five, Day One : Tomorrow Belongs To Me



I'll not beat about the bush : It's been over a month now & my patience is beginning to wear a little thin. I made a trip to the library over the weekend to borrow Pat Reid's excellent wartime manual 'Escape For The Over Forties' which had been out on loan from the day we arrived & was peeving me somewhat. Our free time here is at best limited & consequently I was not in the mood for the kind of shoddy service traditionally received in Turf Accountants & supermarkets but not exactly being in a position of power I steeled myself for the worst. Clutching my prized book I waited in line behind a brace of Poles attempting to release about 42 volumes of Carpentry Abroad & a very tall Russian who didn't want any books but just enjoyed queueing. It's only a small library but this was to be a long wait. We were filtered off down a set of stairs into a snaking anger management system where, to my horror, I noticed that the surly monosyllabic guard had been replaced by an actual Dalek & check-out was being manned by a cat with a broken leg. This is the kind of false economy responsible for grinding our great country down to it's basics & making us the laughing stock of the Free Market. I said something to this effect to the Russian who just shrugged & fiddled around inside his bag. Pathetic. And as for the Poles, they simply don't try, do they? Let's just say that things didn't quite go without incident & from now on I shall buy my furniture pre-fab.

On a more positive note I am working on something that may well bear fruit which obviously I cannot go into at any length here. I have made up great strides with Perry over the last couple of days so perhaps his idea of tea at the Criterion is not as ludicrous as it seemed last week. Madden I'm still not sure about : There is something unnatural about being healthy & she is positively glowing at present. If Churchill had eaten that much salad tomorrow would almost certainly have belonged to them...

3 comments:

Clair said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BPP said...

My apologies, but I just need to use your loo ...

*wees*

Oh, yes. That's better.

Thanks.

eggstationzebra said...

Mi crapper es su crapper. Fire away, my friend..